I work with clients to recover from chronic pain and somatic conditions where stress and emotional pain are being expressed in the body via learned neural pathways. I teach neural remapping techniques advocated by John Sarno, Howard Schubiner, Lorimer Moseley, Peter Levine, Bessel van der Kolk, and Alan Gordon.
I help clients:
- Discover that chronic pain and discomfit are learned neural pathways kept in place by unconscious fear, pressure, self-criticism, and contracted body states known as character armor.
- Practice attending to difficult sensations through a lens of safety, loving kindness, dispassionate curiosity, and acceptance.
- Tap in to and process underlying emotional states that are being converted into physical symptoms.
- Fully accept here-and-now pain in order to eliminate long-term suffering.
- Discharge bound survival energy that underlies symptoms (through heat, shaking, tears, yawns, involuntary movements, etc).
- Strengthen a positive and supportive body identification, so that the body becomes a safe and secure home base and is no longer viewed as the problem, but rather the solution.
- Get the ball rolling on a virtuous cycle of improvements to get new evidence on what is possible.
(Standard rate: $200 per 50-minute session. Sliding scale if available)
Steven Bradshaw is a Registered Associate Marriage and Family Therapist (#128772) supervised by W. Preston Lear, PsyD, LCSW (#22857)